20% of Canadians will experience a mental health issue this year. With so many people at risk, even your small business could be affected. One of your employees or someone close to them (their spouse, child, or sibling, for example) could experience personal issues that impact their psychological wellbeing. The employee’s work may suffer and they may need to take some personal time as a result.
As a small or mid-sized business, you are at a greater risk compared to a large company if one of your employees needs to take time off – whether it is due to a mental health related issue or an injury. It can be hard to find someone to fill in for that person while they are away. You may not know what your options are for replacing that employee either on a short or long-term basis, and what impact this will have on your business.
The Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan® has options to help both employers and employees navigate through difficult life events:
Business Assistance Service
The Chambers Plan Business Assistance Service (BAS) is a resource to help employers effectively manage their business.
It offers a variety of management services, including legal, HR, and accounting advice. When it comes to mental health issues in the workplace, BAS can provide specialized human resource services and coaching to help you do the right thing.
BAS is included in the Chambers Plan at no additional charge for employers and employees!
Arive Employee Assistance Program
The Chambers Plan Arive Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can be a huge asset for employers with employees that are facing mental health issues and difficult life situations. EAP can be a confidential resource to help employees and/or their dependents with personal issues.
For a small monthly cost, the EAP options can be added to a group benefits plan to provide employees and their dependents with access to qualified experts and professionals who can provide consultation on issues ranging from job-related challenges to marital and family issues.
According to research by Arete Human Resources:
- Before access to EAP, the average cost to employer was $294; after access to EAP, the average gain to employer (in terms of work performance) was $526, which is a gain of over $800.
- Before counselling, 65% of individuals had performance issues that produced an economic loss for their employer of $1,063 over a 4 week period; after counselling, only 29% of individuals had performance issues that produced an economic loss of $612 over a 4 week period, which is a gain of over $450 in just 4 weeks.
Click here for a video about the Arive Employee Assistance Program.
Helping Reduce Mental Health Issues in the Workplace
Between the two services mentioned above, employers will have the peace of mind that they will be able to offer a resource to employees who are struggling with personal issues and potentially reduce the impact on their business.
If you are a Chambers Plan member already, did you know you had access to these services?
>> HFG is the exclusive provider of the Chambers Plan in Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, and West Toronto. Get in touch with an HFG advisor today!
Like this? You might also like:
- Top 3 Advantages of the Chambers of Commerce Group Insurance Plan
- Chambers Plan Member? Learn about my-benefits® for Employees [Video]
- Top 3 Advantages of a Benefits Advisor for Small and Mid-sized Businesses
- January 2021 HFG Newsletter - January 28, 2021
- December 2020 HFG Newsletter - December 7, 2020
- We won an award! - October 20, 2016